The Minneapolis Police Department has issued a crime alert in connection with 22 robberies that have occurred since Sept. 1.
Many of the robberies have either involved the use of a weapon or the threat of one. While a majority of the incidents have occurred after dark, some have happened during the day. The robberies haven't occurred in one particular area, but are most frequent in the area between Highway 55 and Dowling Avenue North.
Cell phones are usually a main target, followed by money and other valuables on the victims.
Call the Criminal Investigations Division at 612-673-2941 if you have any information about these robberies.
BE SAFE, BE ALERT
1. When outdoors, be alert and be aware of who may be approaching you.
2. If you use an iPod or earphones, turn the sound down so you can hear people approaching.
3. If you feel uncomfortable in a certain area, trust your instincts and vacate the area.
4. Be alert when someone approaches you asking for directions, time, a lighter or other common requests as this is a common ploy used by assailants.
5. Use strong body language when you walk. Keep your head up and don't look distracted.
6. If you are out at night, travel with someone else, travel in well-used areas and walk and jog in well-lit areas.
7. If you think you're being followed, switch directions and walk to a lighted home or business where there are other people.
8. Draw attention to yourself or potential attacker by using loud verbal commands, an alarm or both.
9. Call 911 immediately to report cries for help.