Oxford officer accused of saying he wanted $500 to help - My29 WFTC Minneapolis-St. Paul

Oxford officer accused of saying he wanted $500 to help

Posted: Updated:
Oxford Police Officer Todd Barraco is accused of saying he wanted $500 to help a man with a domestic situation. Oxford Police Officer Todd Barraco is accused of saying he wanted $500 to help a man with a domestic situation.
OXFORD, Mich. (WJBK) -

A man says when he called the Oxford Police Department for help, an officer told him he charged a $500 fee.  The civilian recorded the phone conversation.

A rocky relationship turned into a bad breakup for 29-year-old Nathaniel Bennett, who on Sunday felt he had no choice but to call police for help getting back his property from his very angry ex.

"Did not want to have any communication to avoid [a] volatile situation, and so I attempted to use the police to resolve it," he said.

Bennett said he called the Oxford Police Department's non-emergency line and was transferred to Officer Todd Barraco, who he has dealt with before.  He happens to have an app on his cell that recorded the following phone conversation.

BENNETT: I was going to simply ask is there any way that you could call her or tell her to drop off the stuff at the station, and I will come and get it this evening when I drop off my children.

OFFICER: I charge a $500 fee.  I want $500 cash if I'm going to be your personal service to go over and exchange messages.  Can you drop off $500 cash to my police department please?"

BENNETT: That sounds like bribery and extortion, which I know to be illegal.

OFFICER: That's me fee.

BENNETT: Okay, yeah, you don't even get paid that an hour.  Don't even try that one.  I know better.  I know law.

OFFICER: Then guess what?  Go hire an attorney, which is going to charge you 500 bucks to do this [expletive].

"It's not okay to hide behind a badge and say, oh, well, I'm not doing this unless you do this for me," Bennett remarked.

We tried to speak with Officer Barraco, who we're told has worked part-time for the department for the last three years.  He has been awarded for his work, but also disciplined for verbal misconduct in the past.  There was no one at home, but we did reach him by phone.

"I have no comment," he said.

Oxford Police Chief Michael Neymanowski called this a violation of the public's trust and unacceptable behavior.  Although the chief said he doesn't believe the officer would have taken the money, he has suspended Barraco and is still trying to determine the appropriate disciplinary action.

"He's sworn to help.  Their motto is to protect and to serve, but it seems so wrong," Bennett said.

Neymanowski told me it is a normal request for someone to ask for help from police for an unpredictable, potentially violent domestic situation, and this officer should have assisted.

• Taryn AsherTaryn AsherMore>>

Community comes together to support slain Armada teen's family

Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:55 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:55:10 GMT
    Nearly a week after 14-year-old April Millsap was found murdered in the small town of Armada, friends, family and even those who didn't know the young girl gather for music in the park - this time hoping for justice.They were there to help raise money to ease the burden on April's heartbroken mother."We're as well as can be expected," said aunt Sarah Lichtenfelt. "They are just grateful for all the prayers and support, that's all we ask is to keep praying for strength."In the middle of it all...

Man accused of calling taxi to move a body

Monday, July 28 2014 10:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:20:50 GMT
    A mother is struggling with the fact that her 21-year-old daughter lost her battle with drug addiction, and then she learns the despicable lengths two people went to get rid of her child's body.

Renisha McBride's family leaves courtroom as photos are shown

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:29 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:29:16 GMT
    On day two of the trial for Renisha McBride's shooting death, the final hours of her life and the moments after her death were detailed in court. Thursday the jury heard what Ted Wafer, her accused killer, told police about the shooting that night.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

VIDEO: Witness says man roughed up by Clinton Township police, hospital security

Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:38 GMT
    In a video spreading across social media, a Michigan man says police and hospital security roughed up a man.

Large two truck crash closes I-75, second accident nearby

Thursday, July 31 2014 10:57 PM EDT2014-08-01 02:57:29 GMT
    A crash involving two semi trucks shut down I-75 tonight, according to Michigan State Police.

Detroit Tigers acquire pitcher David Price

Thursday, July 31 2014 10:35 PM EDT2014-08-01 02:35:47 GMT
    The Tigers have acquired pitcher David Price from the Rays in a three-team trade that reportedly involves the Mariners, according to reports. The clubs have not commented on or confirmed the report.  Jackson goes to Mariners; Smyly, Franklin also involved in three-way deal
Powered by WorldNow

WFTC-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices